Thursday, January 17, 2008

Times Together...




We visited the rivers...


Laughed a lot...
Took pictures of our really cool wind-y downy stairs...
We sat and listened to our precious Daddy and GrandDaddy tell stories from their lives~stories and memories that made us all laugh and cry, and know that the Lord is always faithful. As I listened to my Daddy and Grand Daddy talk to us, I scribbled away in my book as fast as I could...I always like to have folks sign my little book, and this is what my dear grand daddy wrote:


"I love you" ~The most important thing you can say to your husband and children. The important thing is to say "I love you" at least 10 times a day to all whom you love.
-Grand Daddy

As I'm looking through my book today, I see here another thing Grand Daddy said:

"Oh, as a mama and daddy, leading your kids to the Lord is your responsibility. Children need to be saved more than anything else~above education, above everything. Except food. You got to keep 'em alive to save 'em! [chuckles]"
-Grand Daddy

Ah, the most wonderful time of all was when Daddy tells us about "where he came from" and how he came to the Lord. I will never tire of hearing them. here is a little excerpt from my scribbling:

"Yes, my daddy had come to the Lord~Ah, he was such a kind man. He would bring me lunch at work, a big ole' plate of he and Mother's garden yields. He would set it on the boiler to keep it warm untill it was luch time. I remember that blessed me so much. {tears up}
Then, I started going to church with Daddy and Larry {Daddy's brother} I thought, man, these guys are happy! {laughs} Paul Sharpe, the preacher, he was such a dear man~the love of the Lord just shined through 'im. I remember his teeth were all fanned out, man, but he just smiled so big anyway...Then one Sunday, he preached about entering through the sheep fold through the gate, Jesus Christ. but that those who climb over are like a thief and a robber. I thought, I don't want to do that! I want to go through You, Lord!"
-Daddy

Thus how my darling Daddy came to Jesus. Daddy also told us hours and hours of stories of his grandfathers, greatgrand fathers, and of his father. He gave us warnings, admonishments, and told us of things that he has learned. Ah, I am so blessed to have him as my Daddy!

Here is one story that he told us...


"My Daddy shoveled gravel during the depression. He made 1 $ a day~and that was good money. Yeah, he always said that was why his heart was so poor. Oh, he also worked at Morris Store. Hum, one night, late, a huge, big guy came in the store, and the man was drunk. {lifts eyebrows in expression} He came up to Daddy, (who was a small man) and grabbed him by the neck, and put a knife to his throat, and started laughing. My Daddy, standing there with the knife on his neck, thought, "Humm. now, this is serious." So, with his one free hand, he slowly reached back, swung hard and punched the guy right in the eyes. {the man had glasses on} The guy dropped the knife, and then Daddy took him straight to the doctor."
-Daddy

And also...

"Yes, my great-great grandfather rode with Gen. Forrest's cavalry. He was captured, and was in a POW camp up North...four of our great-great grand fathers fought for the Confederacy in the war."
-Daddy

And another tid~bit from GrandDaddy...

"Remember this, girls~always empty the clip if you start it."
-Grand Daddy


And we also curled up on the couch together and watched a movie or two...or three...
And ate tons of our favorite foods...
Laughed and visited on the couches... {A view from the upstairs loft.}
Played outside....
Smiled and...
...Laughed with clean, happy babies....

3 comments:

Laura said...

Hi! I am a guilty lurker (since way back in April 2006)! Y'alls blog has been such an encouragement to me! Y'all seem like such a sweet family. Anyway, just wanted to comment to finally let you know that I love the blog, and that those quotes were great!

Laura

MORTONCLAN said...

Hey, Laura!
I'm so very glad you said hello! I've enjoyed looking at your blog this evening, too, and hope to visit again often! I know what you mean about being a 'lurker', and am so happy you left a note!
Love in Christ,
Adeine

P.S. I saw y'all's Scottish costumes in your archives~that was amazing!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures and stories. Sounds like you had a great time.

Hope everyone is well.

Mr. Tim